The Cells
 

The Sinai monastery was constructed on ground that has a steep incline. For this reason, there is no open central courtyard, and the cells of the monks are scattered throughout the fabric of the building complex. The oldest cells are in an area to the south of the basilica. A range of cells along the east wall date from the fourteenth century, while yet another range of cells along the west wall date from the sixteenth century. They are constructed of humble building materials, using any piece of wood, which was always scarce in the Sinai desert, and often using mud for walls and roofs. Yet these humble materials are very insulated, retaining warmth in the winter, and resisting the heat of the sun in the summer. The newest cells are those along the south wall, in a building that was finished in 1951.

 
Choose the pictures for enlargement

Δημιουργία και Χορηγία του Τόπου: Ίδρυμα Όρους Σινά
Copyright © των Κειμένων: Ίδρυμα Όρους Σινά, Αθηνών
Copyright © Φωτογραφιών: Ιερά Μονή Θεοβαδίστου Όρους Σινά, Αγίας Αικατερίνης

  Stay Global Kalampakas - Tsonis Co Stay Global Co